Sunday, March 13, 2005

Reading Journal - The Fountainhead

In response to a recent comment, I decided to keep a reading journal.

The first thing I've read (or, finished reading), since then is The Fountainhead. I'm not so sure I liked this book. I didn't find Dominique's or Roark's characters believable; I do not believe rape is an acceptable or desirable way to start a relationship.

Also, Rand states, through Roark, "...the integrity of a man's creative work is of greater importance than any charitable endeavor. Those of you who do not understand this are the men who're destroying the world." May I ask what about charity is so bad? I think Rand is criticizing people who perform charitable acts simply for the approval of others, which I suppose is a bad thing, especially by Rand's value of the individual. But personally, I think charity is respectable, and this offends me. Comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home