Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I hate my major...

I went to a career fair for non-profit organizations today. I was really excited about this going into it, but once I got there I didn't really know what to do. What was I doing there? This was a room full of genuinely good people, and there I was, someone with no volunteer experience looking for an excuse to drop out of school for a year or two. So I left. Didn't talk to any of the organizations. Which is disappointing, really, but I just didn't know what to say.

I didn't really feel passionate about any of them. Maybe I really am condemned to be an engineer. Actually, engineering might not be so bad once I get into the real world. The problem is that I don't think I can make it to the real world. I am so bored with my major. I never go to class, and I rarely do assignments, which is unlike me. I thought that I could just stick with it, get my degree and then throw it away. But with the prospect of a fifth year looming over my head (why did I change majors? why? I'd be done this spring if I hadn't.), I'm not sure I care about or am even able to finish. Another whole year? After this one? I really don't think I'm up for it. I really hate my major.

I'm taking thermodynamics right now, which is about the most boring subject anyone ever invented. That, and a class in mathematical modeling and analysis. Please shoot me. A quick review of my transcript shows the classes I've liked most have been my non-engineering courses: philosophy, writing, english, international sudies. The classes I've hated: almost all the engineering ones--they're just so boring!

So I'm finally allowing myself--for the first time in 4 years--to consider a non-engineering major. The problem with this is that I'm nearing the end of my fourth year, and I hardly want to start a new major now. But I don't think I have the desire to finish my engineering degree, so it's either change majors and be here for 7 years, or drop out of school, which is an equally valid choice, if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home